1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Club
Welcome to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Club! This free program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters school-a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read for themselves.
One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Reading together helps develop important pre-reading skills that provide a solid reading foundation-a key to school and learning success. Plus sharing stories together is fun!
Here are the easy steps for participation:
- Read together
- Mark the dot on your child’s log. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at library Storytime, daycare or others also count.
- When you finish 100 books, give your sheet to the librarian and
- Receive a sticker
- Receive a book
- Repeat steps 1-3 and receive a different sticker and book at each level.
- After finishing 1,000 books, your child
- Receives a sticker and a book
- Receives a special prize
This club has no end date except your child’s going to school, so don’t feel rushed—just enjoy the experience! Take every change you have to read with your children, tell and talk about stories, say nursery rhymes, sing songs, and attend library programs. By reading just three stories a day you and your child will have read over 1,000 books in one year. You will also have shared many special moments along the way.
The library is a fun place featuring books to check out, DVD’s, free programs and great suggestions for what to read. Stop in often and talk to our friendly staff—we are here to help.